2023-112 Audit Scope and Objectives
Department of Housing and Community Development—Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program
The audit by the California State Auditor will provide independently developed and verified information related to the California Department of Housing and Community Development's (HCD) administration of the Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program (program). The audit's scope will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
- Review and evaluate the laws, rules, and regulations significant to the audit objectives.
- Review the complaints HCD received from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2022 from residents related to the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) to determine the following:
- The total number of MRL complaints received.
- The number of MRL complaints that HCD processed.
- The number of MRL complaints that HCD found to have merit and the outcomes of those cases.
- Obtain information about the MRL cases that HCD referred to legal service providers and determine the outcomes of those cases.
- Determine the amount of funds HCD has collected since the inception of the program in January 2019 and the amount of HCD's staffing budget that has been supported by the Mobilehome Dispute Resolution Fund.
- Evaluate the fund balance of the Mobilehome Dispute Resolution Fund (Fund 3329) as of December 2022 and assess the following:
- The reasons for any surpluses identified.
- Whether HCD's spending from this fund is consistent with the funds' statutory purpose.
- Whether the current fee amounts proscribed in law are appropriate relative to the fund's actual expenditures and the program's overall performance.
- Based on the audit objectives listed above, recommend whether the program should continue in its present form, be modified, or allowed to sunset.
- Review and assess any other issues that are significant to the audit.
California State Auditor's Office