2021-604 Audit Scope and Objectives
State High Risk—Safety of Dams
The audit by the California State Auditor will provide independently developed and verified information related to the safety of California dams. The audit's scope will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
- Review and evaluate the laws, rules, and regulations significant to the audit objectives.
- Examine the process used by the Department of Water Resource's Division of Safety of Dams (Water Resources) to identify dams it considers to be high hazard, and for following up with dam owners to require corrective actions that mitigate risks to the public.
- Evaluate progress by Water Resources and the Governor's Office of Emergency Services (Emergency Services) in reviewing and approving inundation maps and emergency plans. Identify any barriers Water Resources and Emergency Services may have to meeting their respective responsibilities related to these maps and plans.
- Determine the extent to which Water Resources and Emergency Services have received budget increases and evaluate how they have used such increases. Additionally, determine whether they have made a reliable determination of their resource needs, and have taken appropriate action to ensure they have the resources needed to address dam conditions, and to review and approve all required inundation maps and emergency plans.
- Review and assess any other issues that are significant to the audit.