2019-103 Audit Scope and Objectives
County Emergency Plans—Evacuation of Residents with Access and Functional Needs
The audit by the California State Auditor will provide independently developed and verified information related to emergency plans for the safe and efficient evacuation of residents with access and functional needs in counties that have experienced natural disasters. The audit's scope will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
- Review and evaluate the laws, rules, and regulations significant to the audit objectives.
- Review a selection of after-action reports that cities and counties have filed with the Governor's Office of Emergency Services and other available sources of information for recent emergencies and disasters, including wildfires, to identify lessons learned regarding assisting individuals with access and functional needs during and after the incidents.
- For a selection of three counties that have recently experienced natural disasters, evaluate the counties' processes for ensuring that individuals with access and functional needs are accounted and cared for before, during, and after an emergency or disaster by doing the following:
- Identify requirements in state and federal law and best practices for emergency response regarding accounting for and assisting individuals with access and functional needs—such as elderly and disabled residents—during emergencies, including emergency communication, evacuation, and sheltering. Assess the counties' emergency plans, including whether the plans adequately incorporate those requirements and best practices.
- Determine the extent and frequency with which the counties have reviewed and updated their emergency plans, and incorporated lessons learned from recent emergencies and disasters to ensure that those with access and functional needs are evacuated in a safe and efficient manner.
- Identify and assess the resources and programs the counties make available to individuals with access and functional needs following an evacuation.
- For the counties selected for Objective 3, determine what additional resources, information, or guidance they require to develop effective emergency plans, including whether changes to statewide policy are necessary.
- Determine the number of casualties that have occurred as a result of an emergency or disaster over the last five years, including, to the extent possible, the proportion of casualties that were individuals with access and functional needs.
- Review and assess any other issues that are significant to the audit.
California State Auditor's Office