2018-126 Audit Scope and Objectives
Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services
The audit by the California State Auditor will provide independently developed and verified information related to Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services (LADCFS). The audit's scope will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
- Review and evaluate the laws, rules, and regulations significant to the audit objectives.
- Evaluate LADCFS's responses to child abuse and neglect allegations to ensure it performs the following:
- Provision of timely and accurate safety, risk, and reunification assessments that appropriately determine the severity of risk to the child.
- Provision of statutorily required background checks and history checks of all individuals who have access to the child.
- Assessments that include a thorough review of previous allegations of abuse and neglect.
- Determine the adequacy of LADCFS investigations, based on factors such as timeliness, adherence to policies, thoroughness, and appropriate assessments leading to effective actions taken to ensure child safety.
- Determine whether LADCFS is performing required wellness checks on children for whom it is responsible.
- To the extent LADCFS is not performing assessments, investigations, or wellness checks appropriately, identify the root causes of these deficiencies and propose solutions to address these causes.
- Assess the adequacy of LADCFS's efforts to examine and transform its practices in response to the deaths of children for whom it had responsibility or at least some level of previous contact.
- Evaluate whether LADCFS has adequate processes to identify and protect LGBTQ youth.
- Review and assess any other issues that are significant to the audit.
California State Auditor's Office