Report 2022-102 Recommendation 8 Responses
Report 2022-102: California Department of Public Health: It Has Missed Opportunities to Collect and Report Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Data (Release Date: April 2023)
Recommendation #8 To: Public Health, Department of
To consistently collect accurate SOGI data, Public Health should standardize its definitions and provide guidance on how its forms should ask questions related to sexual orientation and gender identity, guidance on the minimum categories or response options to be collected, and guidelines on how to aggregate and report responses.
60-Day Agency Response
- Public Health is continuing to support the 2022 SOGI Workgroup on the data collection recommendations, which provide updated guidance on SOGI question wording and response options. These recommendations are with the Director's Office for review and approval.
- Planning is underway on reconvening the SOGI Workgroup to address SOGI data display standards. Issuance of data display standard recommendations will complete the goals of this workgroup.
- Of the seven forms identified as non-compliant in the audit report, further investigation has revealed that three of these forms were one-time use only and no longer relevant to the report. Two forms will be compliant by July 1, 2023 and the other form will be compliant by September 30, 2023. Public Health is in conversation with the program responsible for the one remaining form to develop a workplan to make the form compliant.
- Public Health will direct all centers to form data collection/forms workgroups to review all data collection forms utilized within the centers and streamline data collection practices, including a periodic review whether forms are required to collect SOGI data, assessment of SOGI data collection processes, and review of branches' reasons for not collecting SOGI data, in accordance with Departmental standards.
- Estimated Completion Date: December 2023
- Response Date: June 2023
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
We look forward to reviewing Public Health's progress towards implementing this recommendation.
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.