Report 2017-102 Recommendation 29 Responses
Report 2017-102: California Community Colleges: The Colleges Reviewed Are Not Adequately Monitoring Services for Technology Accessibility, and Districts and Colleges Should Formalize Procedures for Upgrading Technology (Release Date: December 2017)
Recommendation #29 To: Los Rios Community College District
To increase the transparency of its annual review processes, by June 2018, American River should establish procedures requiring its departments to document attendees, input received, and agreements reached during meetings to consider instructional technology equipment requests.
Annual Follow-Up Agency Response From June 2019
The new Annual Unit Planning component of the Integrated Planning Portal was implemented in February 2019. Documentation of the process is here: https://apps.arc.losrios.edu/ProgramReview/Home/AnnualUnitPlanning
Training slides for users are here: https://apps.arc.losrios.edu/ProgramReview/Docs/Annual%20Unit%20Planning%202019.pdf
When a unit plan author (e.g. faculty department chair) indicates that instructional technology is being requested in support of a particular Action Step, the author is prompted with a message indicating that a follow-up process will occur in the fall for the author to provide future detail regarding the instructional technology needs (see screen capture image below). Included in this request for follow up is documentation of all faculty involved in the decision-making process for instructional technology requests.
- Completion Date: June 2019
California State Auditor's Assessment of Annual Follow-Up Status: Pending
The annual unit plan and training slides submitted by American River do not include procedures requiring its departments to document attendees of the annual review process meetings to consider instructional technology equipment requests, input received in the meetings, and agreements reached during meetings.
- Auditee did not address all aspects of the recommendation
1-Year Agency Response
As a component of the annual unit planning process, the College's new Integrated Planning Portal will require developers to provide a list of all faculty involved in the decision-making process for instructional technology requests. This system will be implemented in February 2019, which is the start of the annual unit planning process. Documentation of this process will be submitted in June 2019.
- Estimated Completion Date: June 2019
- Response Date: January 2019
California State Auditor's Assessment of 1-Year Status: Pending
6-Month Agency Response
American River College has created procedures to increase the transparency as noted. Those procedures will be reduced to a formal memorandum by October 2018 and submitted. Generally, the procedure is as follows:
1. The EMP system for the annual unit planning process has been modified to include a checkbox for instructional technology equipment requests where instructional faculty demonstrate verification that "all faculty were provided the opportunity for input when making this request."
2. In fall 2018 the EMP (unit planning) system will be replaced by an integrated planning system, which will include annual unit planning at its core. Within the new planning system, unit planning objectives that are accompanied with requests for instructional technology equipment will require that all instructional faculty involved in the decision-making process be listed as part of the request.
- Estimated Completion Date: October 2018
- Response Date: June 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 6-Month Status: Pending
60-Day Agency Response
American River College has identified a process whereby the Chair and the Dean are able to certify that all faculty were provided the opportunity for input. Reducing that process to writing has not yet been completed.
- Estimated Completion Date: June 2018
- Response Date: February 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.