Experienced Auditor Opportunities
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, you may qualify for our more experienced auditor positions. To be eligible, most will need to go through an exam process to determine if you can apply for an opening. Read each exam announcement to determine minimum qualifications and how to apply.
The California State Auditor's Office is part of the merit-based California civil service selection system. The civil service selection system consists of two simple steps: exams and hiring. The information below is specific to the experienced auditor selection process.
Exam and Hiring Process for Experienced Auditors
- Apply and take the exam - Submit a completed application for each level you qualify for. We'll notify you if you meet the requirements and send you instructions for taking the online exam.
- Get Results - If you pass the exam, you can apply for a position. Exam results are good for 12 months.
- Apply for Vacancy - We will notify you when we have a vacancy if you're in the toy three ranks and you can apply for the position.
- Interview - We will interview the most qualified applicants and make decisions shortly after the interviews.
- Join Our Team!
To see if you are eligible for any or all of the experienced auditor opportunities, please click on the options that pertain to you.
Open Exams (These examinations are open to all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications)
- Auditor Specialist I (PDF) (Current Ranking: Eligibility List Disclosure)
- Auditor Specialist II (PDF) (Current Ranking: Eligibility List Disclosure)
- Senior Auditor Evaluator I (PDF) (Current Ranking: Eligibility List Disclosure)
- Senior Auditor Evaluator II (PDF) (Current Ranking: Eligibility List Disclosure)
- Senior Auditor Evaluator III (PDF) (Current Ranking: Eligibility List Disclosure)
- Principal Auditor (PDF) (Current Ranking: Eligibility List Disclosure)
Please note: It is important to read the exam bulletins before applying to obtain specific filing instructions.
Experienced Auditor Job Vacancies
We periodically have vacancies for the experienced auditor positions. As auditor positions for the more experienced level become available, we will post the job announcements below.
- None at this time.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of our Recruiting Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 555-5207.
The California State Auditor serves Californians by improving the performance, accountability, and transparency of government. Our core values—integrity, commitment, and leadership—are reflected in everything we do. Our office conducts independent analyses and reports its unbiased findings to the public and the Legislature with recommendations for actions that lead to improving government operations.
A Trusted Voice
We are often called upon to testify before the Legislature to share the results of our work during budget deliberations, policy changes, or informational hearings. Our work is often cited by the press—locally, nationally, and sometimes internationally.
Although located in downtown Sacramento, our work may take us up and down the State. We may be assessing tax revenues in southern California, safety issues for bridges in the bay area, sexual assault and violence in various California colleges, or cybersecurity in various departments. Thus, some travel may be involved, but the variety of our work is bar none.
Our staff of approximately 200 individuals is our most valuable resource, and we offer a competitive compensation package and invest in growing our staff professionally. Nearly 80% of our staff are auditors, 10% are investigators, and the other 10% are attorneys, executives, or other professionals who ensure the daily operations of the office. Together, we work diligently to clarify issues and formulate solutions that positively impact Californians.
"As auditors for California, our staff is a trusted resource to California decision makers. California State Auditors have an essential role in helping change the way government does its work. Moreover, our office is committed to the staff's professional and personal growth."Elaine M. Howle, California State Auditor