Job Bulletin - Attorney IV
The California State Auditor promotes the efficient and effective management of public funds and programs by providing to citizens and the State independent, objective, accurate, and timely evaluations of state and local governments' activities.
Job Control Number: JC 118234
Classification: Attorney IV
Position Number: 339-100-5780-900
Willing to downgrade to an Attorney III for recruitment purposes
Attorney IV Salary Range: $10,173-$13,062
Attorney III Salary Range: $9,210-$11,815
Under the general direction of the Fiscal and Business Services Manager, the incumbent is the main receptionist for the office and provides administrative support by performing a variety of general office tasks. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Receive, screen, respond to or forward phone calls to appropriate staff; greet visitors in a professional manner; monitor the main entrance for visitors and provide assistance as necessary.
- Process all incoming mail and packages; distribute mail to the correct staff member; maintain log of all "confidential" incoming mail; sign for and log all deliveries; and maintain delivery log. Process all outgoing mail; arrange for courier service deliveries as needed; maintain and reconcile the courier service log.
- Maintain calendar for team rooms and resolve any logistical issues that may arise.
- Coordinate the checkout of temporary access cards in a secure manner and follow up with staff who have not returned cards.
- Update phone directory, work hours and seating locations as needed.
- Coordinate visitor requests through building security.
- Assist the accounting office to review travel expense claims to ensure they are within state guidelines; enter nights out of town and travel expenses into travel databases; code travel expenses to appropriate projects; assist staff with using travel booking tools. Prepare taxable fringe benefit reports. Provide general travel assistance as needed.
- Provide general administrative support to the Administration, Audit, and Investigation Divisions and to the Executive Office on an as needed basis such as making photocopies, setting up the training room for training sessions, meetings, and other office functions.
- Act as chair/liaison for the annual California State Employees charitable campaign.
Experience answering, screening and transferring multiple incoming phone calls using an excellent command of telephone etiquette.
Experience working well under pressure and maintain focus with frequent interruptions.
Possession of excellent work habits including dependability, good attendance, and punctuality.
- Proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, capitalization and sentence structure.
- Modern office methods and equipment, including experience with personal computers utilizing Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Work Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Manage multiple priorities.
- Effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Interact with individuals at all levels in a professional manner.
All applicants must be able to type at a speed of not less than 40 words per minute from an ordinary manuscript or printed or typewritten material and provide a valid typing certificate prior to appointment.
Position may require occasional lifting of 10-25 pounds.
The California State Auditor is part of the merit-based California civil service selection system. The civil service selection system consists of two simple steps: exams and hiring. This job announcement is part of the hiring step in the process. If you have not yet completed the exam for this position, please visit: https://jobs.ca.gov to take the exam. You can still apply for the position but must complete the exam process before you will be considered for a hiring interview.
Current state employees with status in the Office Technician classification (class), lateral transfers from an equivalent class, former state employees who can reinstate into this class, and persons who are reachable on a current employment list for this class may apply. A training and development assignment may be considered. All appointments will be made in accordance with applicable personnel laws and rules. Only those appearing most qualified will be interviewed. Additional hires may be made from this bulletin if positions become available.
You must submit a signed standard state application (STD. 678) and indicate the job control number on your application.
Send a completed STD. 678 to:
California State Auditor
Human Resources Office
621 Capitol Mall, Ste 1200
Sacramento, CA 95814
through your Cal Career account.
FINAL FILING DATE: October 5, 2018
(916) 445-0255, ext. 581
California Relay Service:
Any applicant receiving a conditional job offer will be subject to a background check, fingerprinting and an inquiry to the CA Department of Justice to disclose criminal records prior to appointment.
All State Auditor's Office employees are excluded from collective bargaining.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental or physical), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, or any other factor that is not related to the job.
It is an objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free work place. Any applicant for state employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing Civil Service, and the special trust placed in public servants.